Thursday, 3 May 2007

3 May 2007 - Rodney Hide - Confusing times

http://www.rodneyhide.com/

Confusing times
Thursday, May 03, 2007

I arrived back in the country jetlagged and flew onto Wellington to learn that an historic peace had broken out with Helen Clark and John Key agreeing to a compromise on the smacking bill.

Good on John Key I thought. He's taken the high ground and made a difference. That's what I thought. Until I saw the amendment.

It makes no difference. Of course, the police have the discretion whether to prosecute. If anyone knows that, it's Helen Clark!! This amendment just confirms it and then adds the confusing terms "inconsequential" and "public interest".

Then John Key wips the National Party caucus to vote for it. So now Labour and National are voting for Sue Bradford's anti-smacking bill. The criticisms National made of the Bill still stand except now they are all voting for it.

But get this: I move Chester Borrows' amendment last night because he wouldn't. That defines clearly what is allowed and what is not. National voted against it, including Chester.

It must be the jet lag or something. I can't figure it out!

UPDATE: Here are my speeches from last night. http://www.act.org.nz/

Here is an interesting exchange with Chester:
I ask Mr Borrows whether it is true that the police have a decision not to prosecute.

Chester Borrows: Yes.

RODNEY HIDE: So this does nothing to Sue Bradfordâ€(tm)s bill?

Chester Borrows: No

No comments: